Spicy Ginger Pickled Carrot Slices


I have always been an adventurous eater, but some cooking methods make me a bit nervous. Those would include pressure cooking, deep fat frying, candy making and home canning. I have made refrigerator pickles in the past, and so when I recently decided to try some pickles, that seemed the most comfortable way to go. I figured if the pickles were good, they'd get eaten pretty fast anyway. 


I have made a fair amount of pickled vegetables in the last few months, and one of my favorite combinations is ginger and carrot. So when I saw these beautiful rainbow package of carrots, I thought I'd try some mixed carrot slices in a pickle. 

So for a basic pickle brine, you will want vinegar, some salt, some sugar and whatever herbs/seasoning you want. Simmer to dissolve the sugar and infuse some flavor and then pour over your prepared vegetables, cool, and refrigerate.

Spicy Ginger Pickled Carrot Slices

6 large carrots, peeled and sliced thin (about 1/8")
1 cup white balsamic vinegar
1 Tbl. sugar
1 Tbl. coarse salt
1/4 tsp dried red pepper flakes
1 knob of fresh ginger (about the diameter of a silver dollar), unpeeled and sliced thin

1 clean jar with tight fitting lid (about a 4 cup size)




Heat the vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper flakes,  and ginger slices in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer until sugar is dissolved. Stir. Remove ginger slices.



Add carrot slices to pan, and simmer about 30 seconds to a minute in brine. Pour all into clean jar and let jar of carrot pickles cool to room temperature. Close lid and refrigerate. These should stay crispy for a few weeks. Use in sandwiches, salads or as a stand alone snack.

Comments