RED CURRY COCONUT BACON COOKIES or "Make Some Crazy Ass Cookies . . ."




Every year, I make a lot of Christmas cookies. I try to make everyones favorites and then try something new on top of those. This year I was challenged by a friend to make some crazy cookies, so on a whim, I tried to think of the weirdest combination of ingredients I had on hand that morning. I had cooked some really decent bacon for breakfast and still had some bacon fat. I also have red curry powder and some grated coconut. So basically, how could I use those ingredients together and make a well balanced cookie? Here is my recipe, and I must say, they came out like a very nice sweet spicy cookie. 

Red Curry Coconut Bacon Cookies

2-1/2 c. unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 tsp. red curry powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground clove
1/8 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 c bacon drippings with any little bits of bacon
1/2 c softened butter 1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c white sugar
1 large egg
3 Tbl. orange juice
3 Tbl molasses
2 Tbl. raw honey, softened in microwave
1 c. shredded coconut 1/2 c. pecans, coarsely chopped if large

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Sift together the flour, spices, salt and baking soda in a small bowl. In a second, larger bowl, cream the shortening with both sugars and the egg until the mixture is well mixed. Add the orange juice, orange peel and molasses, and stir together to incorporate completely.

Add the dry ingredients from the first bowl and mix to make a smooth, evenly mixed dough. Add a little more orange juice if mixture seems dry

Lightly grease your cookie sheets (you may need to do a few batches, but you probably only need to grease them once). Using two spoons, scoop out about a tablespoon of dough at a time and drop onto cookie sheet. Place about 2” apart. They do not spread out too much. Bake for about 11 to 13 minutes, or until golden brown on the bottom. Remove from cookie sheet and cool on racks. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

Comments